Potassium and Potatoes
- Application of K increases plant height, crop vigour and imparts resistance against drought, frost and diseases.
- Potassium increases leaf expansion particularly at early stages of growth and extends leaf area duration by delaying leaf shedding near maturity.
- It increases both the rate and duration of tuber bulking.
- Its application activates a number of enzymes involved in photosynthesis, carbohydrate and protein metabolism, and assist in the translocation of carbohydrates from leaves to tubers.
- Potatoes deficient in K are more susceptible to bruising.
- Potassium promotes water uptake by the plant, regulates opening of leaf stomata and maintains cell turgour.
- High levels of K tend to increase tuber size Application of K has been shown to reduce hollow heart.
- Poor rooting may limit uptake of potassium.
- Potassium in plants increases the production of disease inhibitory compounds- where plants are K deficient inorganic N accumulates and phenols which have fungicidal properties are broken down.
- K deficiency leads to thinner cell walls making it easier for the epidermis to be penetrated by disease or insects.
- Application of K has been shown to reduce the incidence of both early (alternaria) and late blight, powdery scab and dry rots.
- K applied during bulking can increase yields - the crop may need more K than is readily available from the soil reserves.
- K deficiency results in an accumulation of soluble carbohydrate and a decrease in starch content.
Agro Qualita K Express is a concentrated source of potassium for foliar application. It is chloride free and chelated to enhance uptake by plant leaves and fruits. The soluble micro-crystal formulation readily dissolves in the spray tank. Available in 5kg packs. Apply 3-4kg/ha ideally in 3-4 applications.
Potassium Thiosulphate is a source of both potassium and sulphur and is available in 10l and 1000l IBC's.